In order to focus on our OWL (Our Whole Lives) program for seventh through ninth grades, through the final celebration on Sunday, May 21, we have decided to postpone the remainder of our Coming of Age program until the fall. This will give us the chance to put all of our energy into these last 2 months of OWL and better serve those participants who are currently involved in both programs. The remaining OWL sessions are primarily discussion-based, where we deep-dive into relationships, sexuality, and communication.
Stay Tuned… We will be planning meet-ups and social events throughout the spring and summer for both our CoA and OWL cohorts, so that we can continue building this awesome community.
Summer Camps at de Benneville Pines
Separately, plan to send your kid to camp this summer! We encourage our youth to attend summer camp sessions up in the mountains at Camp de Benneville Pines. It is a chance to unplug, commune with nature, meet youth from all over the region, and develop lifelong friendships. One of our great OWL facilitators, Carol Knapp, will be leading several of these camp experiences this summer. Check them out at uucamp.org, and sign up quickly as, historically, youth camps sell out. If camp fees are an obstacle to any youth attending camp, contact the Camp volunteers at UUSM; “camperships” may be available.
- For experienced UU campers: Does your youth age 14–18 want to learn about being a camp counselor? The Counselor In Training (CIT) program happens July 9–15 during Elementary Summer Camp (for campers who will have completed second through sixth grades).
- Come one, come all to Junior High Summer Camp (for youth who will have completed grades six through eight), which happens July 16–22, 2023.
- Older teens gather in the mountains during Senior High Summer Camp, July 23–29.
- Family Summer Camp, July 30 to August 5, is a joyous week in the land of towering pines. Families that include youth of any age are welcome to join in the fun and friendship. Registration opens March 25, 2023, at 7:00 am Pacific Time.
- Mark your calendars now for UU Santa Monica’s weekend at camp September 15–17.
In the fall…
In the fall we will offer only Coming of Age for our tweens and young teens. We will have room to expand our conversations on faith and spirituality, identity and self-growth, community and service. We are working to finalize a Coming of Age experience for our youth that they will enjoy and remember with confidence in years to come. We ask that parents keep the kids connected and involved! Thank you!
We are the Youth RE Team:
Lisa Moran (CoA lead)
Amy Thiel (OWL lead)
Beth Brownlie (CoA cat herder)
Jacki Weber (Cottage Kids lead)
Susie Pickett (Exceptional organizer)
Shanna Shaked (Pied piper of families)
Erik Paesel (OWL outdoor camp lead)
Chris Brown (Amazing pinch hitter)
Cynthia Littleton (Cottage Kids teacher extraordinaire)